Angel Food Cake Cupcakes



This has been one recipe that I have always wanted to try out, for starters how appealing is the name. I mean who wouldn't want to eat something with the word 'angel' in the title?! I will be totally honest here and the reason why it took me so long to try the recipe was the amount of eggs used, a mixture of worries crossed my mind...

Firstly what on earth would I do with 9 egg yolks that are left? And no I don't like custard before you say it...

Secondly, if I mess up the recipe what an waste of eggs! Silly thoughts maybe but it was still enough to discourage me from making anything with Angel Food in the title, whether it be a cake or cupcakes. So finally the other day I was flicked through a cookery book (typical Friday night for me!) and I came across this recipe for Angel Food Cupcakes with a Raspberry Frosting...yum!

To my relief they turned out great and are perfectly light too, living up to there name!



Ingredients

9 Egg Whites
120g Plain Flour
250g Caster Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Place 12 cupcake cases into a tin and preheat your oven to 170c

Begin by sifting the flour three times, yes three times – now do as I tell you! Then sift the sugar separately into another bowl – sift caster sugar I can hear you say? Now weren’t you listening?? Trust me, sift the sugar.

Finally measure out 40g of the sugar and add to the flour and sift together one final time.

Separate all nine eggs and place the whites in a large bowl, or your stand mixer if using.

Add the Cream of Tartar and whisk until very stiff. Add in two tablespoons of the sugar and the Vanilla Extract and whisk again until stiff and shiny.
Gradually add in the rest of the sugar, beating well after each addition.

Fold in the Flour and sugar very carefully using a large metal spoon to cut through the egg whites. Be careful not to overwork the egg whites and knock too much air out but you do need to make sure that you get rid of all large pockets of flour.
Add the mixture to your prepare cases and roughly level.

Bake for about 10 minutes, they don't take as long as normal cupcakes and allow to cool.

Frosting

140g Butter, softened
280g Icing sugar
100g Raspberries

Put the raspberries into a blender or a sieve to make the puree.

Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth.

Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the raspberry puree and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Beat in the rest of the puree and then decorate however you wish! 

I just added a raspberry on top, nice and simple just like the cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment