Hazelnut Crunch Madeira Cake - Gluten Free

Sometimes simple really is best. There are only five ingredients (well 6 including the hazelnuts), it’s simple and plain yet it’s perfection in a cake. The buttery soft sponge is both satisfying and easy to eat; with it being so light you don't feel guilty munching  your away through half a loaf...

Traditionally I believe that Madeira cake is actually flavoured with lemon, but I not only did I fancy a change, I also had no lemons. I did however have some hazelnuts, so the hazelnut crunch madeira cake was born.


This recipe was actually from one of Mary Berry's first books, where she contributed to the Hamlyns All Colour Cookbook. I'm not going to lie; I love this book. So old fashioned the recipes are still in 'oz.' but still come out so perfect there really is no need to change at all. I made this gluten free as you don't often see gluten free offerings with Madeira Cake, but beware it does change the texture slightly of the cake but nothing that noticeable, I did add an extra egg as well like I normally do in my gluten free bakes.


Just to stray from traditions even more; I made a loaf not a round cake! 

Ingredients:

  • 180g Unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 175g Caster sugar plus an additional 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top
  • 3 Eggs
  • 165g Gluten Free Self raising flour
  • 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 100g Chopped Hazelnuts




How to make:

♥ Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan oven 140°C/315°F/Gas mark 2-3.
♥ Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
♥ Start by beating together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
♥ Beat in the eggs gradually, adding a little of the flour if the mix looks like it’s curdling.
♥ Beat in the vanilla.
♥ Fold in the flour.
♥ Spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface.
♥ Sprinkle the additional caster sugar over the top along with the hazelnuts.
♥ Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Mine took 55 minutes.
♥ Leave to cool for 20 minutes in the tin before turning out and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.
♥ Eat and enjoy!







1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Ana from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog

    It's easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be here.

    I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

    We would love that you participate with some recipe like this.Look Amazing!

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete